Welcome to my blog! I wanted to start blogging when I first found out I was pregnant - really just to keep family and friends updated on the progress of the baby, but now that our little man is almost 4 months old, I thought what better time than now to start sharing what is going on in the Castelli household!

Saturday, December 4, 2010

The Christmas Tree Fiasco...always a fiasco when decorating!

Yay, I got my camera back from my sister last night!  The pictures from the tree farm last weekend that I wanted to post were on the camera, so I've been saving my story for when I was able to post the pictures!

So I had the bright idea to start a "Castelli family
tradition" and go to a tree farm to cut down our very own tree!  We packed up Rome and headed to Greenfield last Saturday afternoon.  We get to the tree farm, and there were literally 1000+ trees there that you choose from and chop down yourself.  Justin gets handed the saw (which he was disappointed because he thought he would be given an axe), and I get handed a piece of paper that helps identify the species of tree so you know what you're buying and what the cost is.  Well, it was fairly cold, and we just wanted an 8ft tree, nothing fancy.  There are families out there with their tape measures, rope, the works.  We see the first tree that looks about 2 feet taller than Justin, and Justin starts sawing away.  I started looking at the tree, and then back at the piece of paper I was given, and it looks to me like the tree we are cutting down is not only one of the most expensive trees (a Norway spruce), but it's needle retention says *FAIR*!  When I read that, I immediately thought our beautiful 8 ft tree was going to look like the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree in a week!  For about 2 seconds Justin and I actually contemplated acting like we hadn't started sawing the tree down and start looking for a new tree with EXCELLENT needle retention...then we realized that would make us horrible people!

Well, we Justin sawed the tree down, we paid for our tree, and haphazardly tied the tree to the top of my card with some super weak twine that I found in the house that I was going to use for crafting!  We then started driving home, and yes folks, we were passed on a two lane country road with the tree on top of our car.  As the car was passing us, Justin hollers, "Go ahead and pass me, and enjoying your life in your mini-van!"

And to make a long story even longer, we had some issues getting the tree to stay standing, and it still doesn't have a topper because our star topper is too heavy and keeps falling off... but without further ado, here are some pics of the tree and our holiday decor (and Roman's scrunchie face because I put him in his puffy coat)!

Seriously Mom??


This is actually the tree in the basement, but I love how he is reaching to put in on the tree!


It would look so much better with the silver star on top...sigh



 ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment